Established in 1873, Elleardsville Colored School #8 was renamed to Simmons School in honor of Reverend William J. Simmons. The Department of Interior credited the school’s Historic significance to the early transitional design by St. Louis renowned architect William B. Ittner.
Established in 1875, Charles Sumner High School became the 1st public black high school west of the Mississippi. Sumner High School continues to be a historic icon in The Ville. Notable attendees include Arthur Ashe, Chuck Berry, Grace Bumbry, Dick Gregory, Julius Hunter, Julia Davis, and Margaret Bush Wilson.
Established 1917, sold and became a hotel in 1931. In 1937 the site was leased to Lincoln University Law School, to educate black students that were denied admission to the University of Missouri Law School. In 1965 the site was razed to establish the James House.
In 1937 the former site of Poro College was leased to Lincoln University Law School, to educate black students that were denied admission to the University of Missouri Law School.
Now Turner Middle School. An HBCU founded in 1857, that was originally an all-white institution named Harris Teachers College. The College merged with the all-black Stowe Teachers College in 1890 after the Brown v. Board of Education and was renamed in honor of the abolitionist and novelist Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Opened 1938, this culturally significant park is centrally located in the heart of The Ville. Named after Captain Charlton Hunt Tandy, a black Civil War veteran, educator and civic leader. As an educator, Captain Hunt is credited with establishing a high school for blacks in Jefferson City, that later became Lincoln University. Today the park hails the famous Sumner Bulldog, Tuskegee Airman billboard.
Founded by Sara Newton Cohron in 1888 and named after Annie Malone who gifted the money and land to create the home. The first location was 1427 North 12th Street. In 1905, the Home was moved to a location on Natural Bridge Ave. 1n 1910 the first May Day Parade was held as a fundraiser for the Home. The processional style May Day parade has grown to be the second- largest black Parade in the country. The Home moved to its permanent location on 2612 Goode Avenue, in The Ville.
Deemed as one of the most prestigious medical institutions in its time, Homer G, Phillips hospital, was established to treat black residents of St. Louis, MO, who were not permitted in other medical facilities. Named after Attorney Homer G. Phillips, Howard Law School graduated was instrumental in securing the funding to build the hospital.
Established in 1884 under the Reverend James E. Cook active in civil rights. Listed in the National Historic Register of Historic Places because of its role in the civil rights movement. The Reverend Dr. William Collins, Jr. was the Senior Pastor of Antioch for more than 40 years and a leader in The Ville community.
Organized in1884 and located within walking distance of Antioch Baptist Church, Tandy Park, Turner Middle School. James AME along with the senior living facility, The James House continue to serve The Ville community.
Erected in 1940, named for Charles Henry Turner, the first black man to receive a Ph.D., and the former site of Stowe Teachers College. Originally Sumner Normal School, a part of Charles Sumner High School, the Middle School was in walking distance of the branch, Turner Open Air School.
Designed by William B. Ittner, in 1919 Marshall School because the only intermediate school for black children. Named for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Marshall remained an elementary school until 2004.
Since 1904, considered a staple go to soul food restaurant in the heart of The Ville, Sara Lou Café stood proudly on the corner of Sara Avenue and St. Louis Avenue. Sara Lou is listed on Missouri’s “Places of Peril” and there are active efforts by Northside Community Housing Inc. to restore Sara Lou Café.
Opened in 1925 as one of two public schools in St. Louis City aimed to treat children with special medical needs. Named for entomologist Charles Turner, first black man to receive a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, pushed for the open air, healthful air concept that encouraged time spent outdoors.
4161 Dr. Martin Luther King Drive, historic local tavern in The Ville, graced entertainers such as Albert and B.B. King.
*We do our best to provide the most up to date and accurate information. If you see anything that needs corrections, please contact us using the contact form.